Saturday, June 14, 2008

Week in Review

This week, my boss and my fellow intern were out of town, so I worked through CrossRoads' main office. We tiled and grouted the concession stand at Salvation Army's new building downtown and did some work on the sweet inner-city minivan. Then, yesterday, I drove about three hours up to New Carlisle, Ohio, which is about 15 miles north of Dayton. I met another CrossRoads staff person there and we led a Help Build Hope, and it was super fun. New Carlisle's population is under 5,000 according to the members of the church where we built the house. It's a town that has one main street, where most everything happens. Really cool.

Anyway, we did the build today, and I guess about 50 people showed up and helped us. The future homeowner and her son were able to be there, too, which was neat. My job was to answer any questions the workers had, and then help stand the house as the walls were built. I also used a router to cut out the windows and doors in the OSB siding, and did some other odds and ends. I wish I could have stayed for the benediction tomorrow, because I heard that they're a lot of fun, but I had to be back in Louisville tonight. The people in New Carlisle were really friendly, and it was good to see how this small church raised the money to build the house and then got the whole community involved in building it. Everybody had a good time. The weirdest thing for me was that everyone knew my name, but I could only remember a few of theirs. It was just kind of weird to be on the other side of one of these events. Being a leader and all that. I'll have to get used to it once we get groups in.

So it was a pretty good day. I built a house, used power tools, got a farmer's burn, got to listen to a lot of music during my drive, saw Jesus on I-75, and saw a Corvette Stingray on I-71. So yeah, I guess you could say that I had a pretty good day.

We leave for New Orleans tomorrow at 6:30. In the morning. Eleven hour drive. Then, next week, we'll head on over to Piedras Negras, Mexico, which is another eleven hours. After a week there, we'll come back to Louisville, spend a few days here, then go to Appalachia for a week. Busybusybusy.

Uh . . . yup.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

You were in Dayton and didn't call your favorite cousin? I could have taken you to dinner at white castle then beat you in Halo. It would have been sweet

Matt said...

sorry. i don't think i would have even had time. and i would have creamed you in halo.

jamesadavenport said...

TOUCHDOWN!

Kathy T said...

The corvette is really pretty - you make your Uncle Bob proud!