Thursday, June 5, 2008

Curveballs

So . . . things won't go as planned . . . again.

Some pretty big stuff happened today. First, one of the other interns resigned, and that leaves three of us to do the inner-city tasks until August. Then earlier tonight, the group scheduled to come on the 15th cancelled, and that means we'll only have two groups the entire summer. So God has shaken up our plans once more. Bad thing? Good thing?

I'm trusting that it's good. Because we'll be free for about a whole month, we may have the chance to visit all of CrossRoads' fields - New Orleans, Appalachia, and Piedras Negras (which means, Ma and Pa, that you'll have to send me my passport along with a few other things). And, with only three staff people, we'll be busier and we won't be sitting on our hands for most of the summer. So, yeah, things will turn out alright. Luckily, Steve was sure to teach me that flexibility is the first rule of missions. I'm beginning to really see that. Nothing is guaranteed, that's for sure.

I've been thinking a lot about plans over the past year, due to all the major changes in life and all that. We make these plans, and we expect that they will be followed with relative accuracy. Then we get all disturbed when events or circumstances throw a wrench in those plans. We don't know what's going to happen, or we lose control of our futures, and we panic or we get uncomfortable. That seems backwards to me. I believe when something unexpected interrupts our plans, especially ministry plans, it's God's doing. He knows what's best for us. He wants what's best for us. His plans are infinitely better than ours.

So I'm not worried about this summer. We're in God's hands, rolling with the punches, and doing our best to keep up with the curveballs. There's nothing to worry about.

Also today, I mixed a bunch of floor-leveler concrete, spread some on the ground, and played Sequence. All firsts. Mmmmm . . . I'm having fun.

Maybe I'll post something serious tomorrow.

No comments: